December 30, 2010

my top 5 Bollywood films of 2010

OK I'm SURE I will get tons of brickbats for these, but keep in mind these are MY fav 5. You are bound to, and should, disagree!

Tere Bin Laaden

Its a celebration of the spirit of "Jugaad" (the ability to make something out of nothing). Also, I truly believe that when we are able to reduce terrorists to buffoons and laugh at them, then we win over terrorism. A little film that could, and did!



Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge

A little reminder to retain our humanity and stay true to our cultural roots, in the middle of chaotic growth. Paresh is outstanding and deserves more such characters.






Well Done Abba

Love the message, the humor, the spirit. Sure, I still have a quibble over accents, but that doesn't hurt the spirit of the movie too much. Jayant Kriplani wrote the screenplay and Shyam Benegal executed this little gem, which Boman makes shine. I'm praying Benegal never looses this great ensemble cast he has used so effectively now for 2 movies. Here is my appreciation.



Rajneeti

Capturing the sheer canvas that this film encapsulates is an accomplishment by itself. To weave the Mahabharata, Gandhi-Nehru clan history, and the current Indian political scenario into a single movie sounds impossible, but Prakash Jha does it and does it well enough. Minor editing issues remain, but they are immaterial at best. I'd like to write about this soon.




Raavanan
I still haven't found a Tamil version of this that has English subtitles, but lack of language doesn't hamper anyone from appreciating this. I want to see more from Mani-Vikram-Rahman- is anyone listening??? Here is my appreciation.

4 comments:

Mette said...

This is kinda embarrassing (for me): I haven't seen one of those.

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

Lime(tte): thats what other's blogs r for- the recommendations :) happy new year!

Bollywood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

TBF: Im glad SOMEONE agrees w/ me about Tere Bin - maybe its an Indian livigna broad kinda thing :) and its so hilarious, but my husband had exactly the same comment as you about Atithi- only he cant stand it at all! Rajneeti- I think its really hard to write about- I will psych myself into it soon tho :D thanks for stopping by- hugses!