December 4, 2008

Bollywood Alphabet Meme

As inspired from Niki, and originally from Blog cabins.

"The Rules:
1. Pick one film to represent each letter of the alphabet.2
. The letter "A" and the word "The" do not count as the beginning of a film's title, unless the film is simply titled A or The, and I don't know of any films with those titles.
3. Return of the Jedi belongs under "R," not "S" as in Star Wars Episode IV: Return o
f the Jedi. This rule applies to all films in the original Star Wars trilogy; all that followed start with "S." Similarly, Raiders of the Lost Ark belongs under "R," not "I" as in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Conversely, all films in the LOTR series belong under "L" and all films in the Chronicles of Narnia series belong under "C," as that's what those filmmakers called their films from the start. In other words, movies are stuck with the titles their owners gave them at the time of their theatrical release. Use your better judgement to apply the above rule to any series/films not mentioned.
4. Films that start with a number are filed under the first letter of their number's word. 12 Monkeys would be filed under "T."5. Link back to Blog Cabins in your post.
"

I decided to restrict myself to Bolly-noir, spy and crime movies.

A- Aar Paar (1954)

B- Baazi (1951)

C- CID (1956)


D- Detective (1958)


E- Ek Din Chaubis Ghante (2003)

F- Farz (1967)


G- Guest House (1959)

H- House No. 44 (1955)


I- Inkaar (1977)

J- Jaal (1952)

K- Kaala Bazaar (1960)

L- Lal Kothi (1978)
M- Marine Drive (1955)

N- Naqab (1955)

O- Opera House (1961)

P- Passport (1961)
Q- Qatl (1986)

R- Reporter Raju (1962)

S- Singapore (1960)

T- Teesri Manzil (1966)

U- Uljhan (1975)

V- Victoria No. 203 (1972)

W- Wahaan Ke Log (1967) (sorry- cheated- sci fi!)

X- Mr. X (1957) [yes this is also a fantasy movie. I (again) insist "Mr." is only a form of address. Whatever :S]

Y- Yeh Raat Phir Na Aayegi (1966)

Z- Zinda (2006)- Very violent, but also a mystery, and I didnt have other suitable options.


12 comments:

Nicki said...

Soooo cool! Thanks for doing this! I love your genre and enjoyed looking at the list. Thanks for putting up some pics.

Most of them, I don't know but that's what the beauty of this list is. :)

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

Niki- thanks for leading us by example! I had to focus on a genre or I could never get a list out- wanted to focus on Noir only, but that is slim pickings :)

Anonymous said...

great list :-) I love to make lists!

Anonymous said...

I love your list and hope you mean to review them all - there are quite a few of these that I havent seen. :-) Is that Ajit in Opera House and Marine Drive? If yes, I NEED those movies! lol

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

Memsaab: Yes it is! pick a theme and do it, and then I can compare notes :)

Bollyviewer: I have seen like 50% of these, and searching for the others- for example, you will find Marine Drive here http://apnieastindiacompany.blogspot.com/2008/01/marine-drive.html , but Opera House is turning out hard to find. Ajit IS the lead in both- he did a lot of action noir movies, always playing the lead- I'm glad we share an admiration for his fabulousness :) - No make a list! :B

Anonymous said...

Just went and read your Marine Drive review. Its sounds great - have to go hunting for its DVD. I love Ajit in his lead roles but so far I've seen only a couple of those movies and neither of them were action-noir.

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

It's like a giant "to watch" list! Sweet!

dunkdaft said...

First of all,
I just loved that title picture. Just put your blog name, little bit at corner downside. So that it can be seen.
And this list, wow. How can you get all movie such old ones?

How about 'Zimbo' Series of movies for Z??

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

Beth: Thanks- I also loved reading urs!

Darshit- thanks for ur comments!
I dont think I know how to move the name- can you help me? Finding old movies is pretty hard- every time I or a friend visit India, I have a long list, and get whatever I can from it. As for Zimbo, that movie is really Indianized Tarzan- no real mystery to the story, so didnt think it as appropriate as Zinda.

Bollywood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dunkdaft said...

You can edit your picture, which u want to put in title, in just any photo editor.
Put text into it. Like blog title. and publish that picture as your title bar.
select option, 'instead of blog title' in your setings box.
Voila..you are done.
more movies names i have to search for Z.

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

Darshit: Dude here I was thinking there may be a html trick! Good idea though, seriously thanks :)
I did go through "Z" fairly extensively- just couldn't find anything appropriate :(