March 30, 2008

Race

Title: Race
Year: 2008
Cast: Akshay Khanna, Saif ali Khan, Bipasha Basu, Katrina Kaif

Is it a bad movie? Noooooo- but it is eminently forgettable for sure, and I agree with Beth and So they dance that it is a real let down.

And the isuue does not lie with the plot- that is bad- fairly unique for what its worth- 2 rival step brothers etc., sparring for $ and babes. Akshay envies Saif for his success, and plots against Saif. Saif preempts his every move and turns the tables on him. That's it in a nutshell.

Highlights:

The originality of the plot.

Quibbles:

  1. The main problem is that this is a thriller that simply doesn't thrill enough :(. The car races in the climax are too long and get a bit boring (my heart does NOT race, despite the insistence of the background score). That Saif is alive despite the opening scene is a foregone conclusion- the director cannot imagine that the audience are mental cretins who would not get that.
  2. The women are sexy and do some skin show; Saif does it and comes off well, Akshay does it too, and doesn't come off quite so well- which I must be honest about despite my devotion to the man :) The skin show doesn't help .
  3. The plot isn't executed with much finesse- with all the double jeopardy going on, things get way too convoluted at times, and are just not explained well. The director does seem to get that cos we have some wrap-up style scenes in the end which help explain matters.
  4. Akshay's character is that of a mental midget- soooo unlikeable! And that doesn't enlist me as a "Race" fan for sure. :S

4 comments:

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

So true! Unthrilling and over-exposed. And someone pointed out to me that because we never see Akshaye and Katrina's corpses, there could, in theory, be a sequel. NAHIIIIIIIIN!

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

A sequel????
I am flabbergasted/flummoxed/dumbfounded in every imaginable language. dear Lord no!

I dont think I could stand more of Akshay's being like that (why dude why- why u be like that to me?? :()

I never thought a movie would come which would make me consider Saif as more appealing/pleasant than Akshay :( sob sob, and miscallaneous wringing of hands and weeping.

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

And then I read a piece on...IndiaFM, I think it was, in which the directors talk about making a sequel. Why god why?

At least it might give them time to figure out something better to do with Akshaye's hair.

In happier news, today after work I am going to finish buying supplies for dal makhani! I hit the regular standard store yesterday but they didn't have the right lentils, so today I'm going to my local Indian grocery (which I love because it supplies me with movies)! I'm so excited. If I can get everything I need, the soaking will commence tonight! Yahooo!

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

I think a sequel may be in discussion since the movie has apparently done well in India (go figure :S). I dont undestnad either, and I feel ur anguish on both counts- the movie and AK's hair- looks like a bird built it for her personal use.

I am very nervous/excited about the Dal Makahni in offing! Please hear my enthusiastic cheering from the stands! :)