April 15, 2008

u, me aur hum

Title:U, Me aur Hum
Year: 2008
Cast: Ajay Devgan, Kajol.

I have very ambiguous feelings about this one. Ajay and Kajol meet and marry, and then Kajol develops Alzheimer's, but their mutual love conquers all etc., and they learn to live with it.

Thats it- that is the whole thing. What I am leaving out of course is all the emotion and the ease with which the duo play their parts, which is nothing to sneeze at. It is a decent movie, well conceptualized.

Quibbles:
1- The buildup of the romance before they marry takes up about 1/3rd of the movie, and the trouble is that Ajay is terrible when he is romantic. This really affects you in a movie like this, which basically sets the future actions of its protagonists on the basis of their initial romance. He just looks so uncomfortable that I occupied myself with doing other work while the portion played itself out.

2- It could have been edited better- In the initial 1/3rd, the romance is so languorous that you really cant take it anymore- then they fast forward into a quickie wedding- then the onset of Alzheimer's is dragged out with some scenes that could have been easily done without. 30 Minutes shorter would have done better; on the flip side, I am not a big fan of romantic cinema, and it may just be me- you may love this as is.

Highlights:
1- Ajay is remarkable in the non-romantic emotional scenes: where he deals with his patients' trauma (he is a psychiatrist in the movie), deals with his wife's illness and raises his son. I wept a bit.

2- Kajol makes it all look so effortless- she is consistent throughout, and does well, though Ajay outshines her (I think) in the emo dept.

3- The supporting cast are brilliant- I do love Sumeet Raghavan from TV; though Divya Dutta deserves bigger roles than this.

Watch/Avoid? Watch it, but on DVD.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see this, I LOVE Ajay in romantic roles (have you seen Chori Chori? with Rani?)...I think he's such a good actor too. I'm a little worried that it'll be too sad for me though. I hate sad like you hate romantic :-)

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

haha- yes i must admit romance in movies is a bit icky for me mostly-Rofl- I'd never watch chori-chori- maybe if there was no other option... I love Ajay in stuff like Omkara etc where he is out to shoot and kill. and he was good in

But he truly blew me away in the 2nd half- im guessing you will behave opposite to me when u see it- u'll love the 1st half and try to bear thru the 2nd- which isnt all too sad really- but I still got a bit weepy.

Anonymous said...

Someday I will make you sit and watch Chori Chori with me ;-) It's quite funny in addition to romantic, maybe that will be a saving grace for you!

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

It may very well be- and seeing amovie together, even Chori chori, is a god idea- we really should plan a North American Blogger's meet somewhere...maybe this winter? I'll put up a posting on it and see how everyone feels about it.

Vani said...

I started watching this movie and it dragged so much that I could not watch past an hour or so (& he Ajay was still trying to romance Kajol at that point!). Will persevere and watch the rest over the week.

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

lol- thanks for stopping by Vani- your reaction comforts me that it may not be just my aversion of romantic movies which prevented me from getting impressed. But the 2nd half is better, really :D